Re: [tlug] OT Thread Hijacking

* Kenneth Burling (burlingk@example.com) [100222 12:21]:

> One question.  If a person hits reply to an email, and then changes
> the subject completely and changes the body of the message completely
> (empties it and starts over) is there any reason that an email client
> should put that message into anything other than a new thread?

I perceive the purpose of Subject: header as indicating what is inside
given email. According to this info, I (person) can decide what to do
with it. E.g. read it immediately, postpone it, delete it, ...etc.

The thread instead is managed according to References:  header and
indicates which email is in relationship with which another email.

Thus it makes perfect sense to me to change subjects inside threads [not
hijack threads!]. Other people may have (and frequently have) different
opinions on the usage of Subject: header. Especialy, there is a tendency
to use Subject: header as indicator of thread. I guess this could
explain what you see at your gmail mailbox.

Best
Michal