Re: [tlug] Netbooks

On 2/1/2010 6:39 PM, Darren Cook wrote:
The 100 yen models: (or bought outside the package: 34,800 or 39,800)
  Acer Aspire-one: 3.5rs, 160G, Win XP
  Lenovo: 6hrs, 250G, Win 7
  Asus 1005HA: 10hrs, 160G, Win XP

The 1024x600 was fine for reading an A4 PDF (i.e. no need for left/right
scrolling, though of course there will be up/down scrolling).
I have the american version of the Aspire-one with the 10.1 inch screen running XP with the 6 cell battery. I'm very happy with it. I use cygwin for shell (doesn't work with utf however) and gvim for text edit, open office, firefox and thunderbird. I'd be totally satisfied if the dosish command line tools and io could handle unicode. All the non-dosish tools work fine with utf except for some quirks with perl and utf-16 file names.

I think that several of the linux releases will work on this box but don't intend to go that route.

They claim 8 hours out of the 6 cell battery. Mine has never died and I use it regularly for 5 or 6 hours.

My only complaint is that it's almost useless outside because of the reflective screen.

Steve S.