[tlug] Netbooks

Hi,
Long time since I've followed tlug, but I'm a long-term linux user and
open source advocate. (Though not *linux* advocate; I just use linux
'cos I want to get work done.) Currently running Ubuntu 8.

With more and more computer magazines and books only available as PDF,
I'm looking for a good way to read them when mobile. See my blog posts
on the topic [1][2].

At the same time, even though I work mostly from home, I'm finding it'd
be handy to have a net connection when out and about, for email, web and
emergency ssh/rdesktop sessions. If skype (including video) worked that
would be great, and if it can playback music and videos, even better.

The kindle is too expensive for something so specific, the iphone is too
small to read A4 PDFs on, and so I'm now drifting towards netbooks.

In particular when bought with a 2-year emobile contract the netbook
hardware is very cheap [3], and the monthly fee is a reasonable 3-6000
yen [4].

Does anyone here have one? Are linux pre-installed models easily
available? Or if installing linux as a dual-boot, what should I watch
out for? Or <whisper>is sticking with windows going to be good enough
for my needs?</whisper>

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Darren

[1]: http://darrendev.blogspot.com/2010/01/portable-pdf-reader.html