Re: [tlug] Netbooks (Was: Nebooks)

Darren Cook <darren@example.com> asked:

> Does anyone here have one? Are linux pre-installed models easily
> available? Or if installing linux as a dual-boot, what should I watch
> out for? Or <whisper>is sticking with windows going to be good enough
> for my needs?</whisper>

As I have posted here a year or so back, I got the ~$AU300 EePC
700 really to see how it went. It's the one with a 7" screen and Linux
etc. installed. I'm not sure this model is around any more.

Comments:
(a) I found the screen really too small for PDF reading. Probably a 10"
screen would be OK;
(b) the installed ASUS hack of Xandros is ratshit. If I'd known how
awful it was I'd never have got one. I'm now on my third complete
re-install after simple problems incurably corrupted the system. Getting
a fully working Japanese environment was a pain, and in fact I have given
up third time round.
(c) the above notwithstanding, basic services are OK. I can use Firefox OK
for WWW access and email, Skype works fine, and I can crank up terminal
windows and ssh when I need to.
(c) if I were to do it all over again; I'd get a bigger model with a real
hard disk and larger screen, blow away XP and install a proper Linux.

HTH

Jim
--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University