Re: [tlug] Linux 7 year ago? [was Re: [OT] job posting]

... Was your 300 baud one of the acoustic coupler models?

Nope, I wasn't /that/ early; it had a proper RJ-11 jack.

I think I may have you all beat when it comes to computers in general.

When I was in college, I started out using punch cards. Eventually, I came across a used Model 35 Teletype and bought an acoustical coupler for about $30 which I wired to the Teletype via a home-built adapter. I used to call into the University from my Grandmother's basement after midnight, when the (phony-money) CPU-time rates were cheap, and work on my projects from there.

Some years after graduating, I had the honor of working with a machine called a "Compucolor" -- which pre-dated any of the Apple machines. My employer had purchased the rights to the ROM code source which was some of the most hedeous code I've ever seen. But it worked great (for the time), had a color monitor (was actually built into the shell of a Color TV), supported floppy disks (which it wrote with a UART), and even had external
ports for expansion.

I was, however, late in coming to the Linux fold. I think an early RedHat was my first exposure to computing sanity ;-).

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.