[tlug] An Epson Scanner Darkly

TLUG,

My Epson GT-S600 scanner worked perfectly under Ubuntu 9.04.

Then, as mentioned in other threads, my CPU and/or motherboard died, so
I had to rebuild my computer and install a fresh system. Since Ubuntu
9.10 came out about the same time, I upgraded as well.

Now my scanner is misbehaving. If I scan anything, it has these coloured
streaks, blue and pink. Here's what it looks like:

http://autotelic.com/Screenshot.png

Here's the thing: I've tried asking on the Sourceforge Xsane mailing
list, I've asked on the Ubuntu mailing list and the Ubuntu online forum,
and I've tried scouring the web for any kind of hint of help on this
matter. I also emailed to Epson to ask them if they might have a bug.

And I've come up with nothing. The only response I got was on the Ubuntu
mailing list where a guy said, and I quote: "My attempts to
raise bugs or to contact the maintainers of XSane have always resulted
in failure."

So this time the bug isn't so much about the scanner, but about the
inability to get any insight from anyone who might know what to do about it.

Short of buying a new scanner that may or may not have better Linux
support (I was advised that Epson had decent Linux support), what would
you guys recommend I do in order to try and get some kind of help on
this matter?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G