Re: [tlug] Buying a Blackberry in Japan (OT)

2009/12/19 Raedwolf Summoner <rarooam@example.com>
I went to check and I'm still not sure which it was -- the specs given at
Yodobashi didn't say and when I found out the phone was locked I didn't
ask. I guess being locked explains the lower price.

Did it have a trackball?  Trackball means Bold 9000.  The Bold 9700 has a trackpad.

Thanks for the lowdown on the Bold. It had been on my Amazon short
list. However, I now know that even though Amazon are selling unlocked
"international" phones, they only ship them domestically. (Not a serious
problem, my sister always steps up for those occasions.)

The Bold 9000 and 9700 are different enough that you should consider them completely separate.

What do you think of the BlackBerry Curve 8900 Javelin Unlocked Phone
with 3.2 MP Camera, GPS, Stereo Bluetooth, Media Player, and MicroSD
Slot--International Version with No Warranty (Titanium) for $423.27 at
Amazon U.S.?

I don't know much about the Curve 8900, as the Curve 8250 is the one that gets the most press.  Blackberry Curves don't have 3G support AFAIK; not being able to access the HSDPA network in Tokyo is a deal-breaker for me.

To be honest, right now all reviews point to the Bold 9700 as the best one out there.  I have yet to find a 9700 in Japan, but I am still waiting.  I can't see any reason for Docomo to delay introducing it to Japan (unless they have too many Bold 9000s and want to sell them first).  So if you want me to give my opinion, here it is: Although I've never tried a Bold 9700, I'd get a Bold 9700 if I had the money.  (Caveat: I would try it out in a store first.)  If you can get a Bold 9700 that works in Japan and the US, I would try to convince your daughter to wait until she gets back to the USA and can pick up one there unlocked.  Unfortunately (for you), the cheapest 9700 I can find online are $500+.

If your daughter liked the Bold 9000 and you aren't worried about battery problems (though _I_ am), I don't personally see problems getting a Bold 9000 other than "it's not the Bold 9700".  I wouldn't, but I can be surprisingly conservative when it's that much money on the line.  ^_^;

Ai

--
Ai Ling Chow | alchow@example.com