Re: [tlug] MS vs Google

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:20:45PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> What Google is doing is data mining, and selling what they find out to
> both sides of the market (ie, more accurate search results for users,
> and marketing info to vendors).

Not only.

First, Google did data mining by harvesting the available data on the
internet. This was the Google search engine era.
Mukashi mukashi... sono mukashi

But Google needs data, more data, always more.

Web spiders were not enough and Google managed to get more direct
access to some data by buying other companies. Blogger, Youtube,
Panoramio, DejaNews ...

Then, needing more and more data, Google managed to make people store
personal data directly in the Google realm. Gmail, Picasa, Docs, ...

Still not enough. Needs more data. Google creates the missing data and
inserts it into the digital medium, under the Google banner. Street
view, Books, ...

Next? Browser, OS, hardware...

Google offers service 2 kind of services:
* free services, in exchange for data
* and paid services using this data

So, Google may or may not be evil, may or may not be the next
Microsoft, or anything you want. But my point is that the Google fuel
is data.

By the way: Hello everyone, this is my first post on the list. I live
around Nagoya, I do image processing related stuff, and... well, what
else? I'm enjoying SIGGRAPH ASIA 2009 this week in Yokohama, maybe
some other tlug-ers too?

--
Nicolas LIMARE
smtp:nicolas@example.com                            pgp:0xFA423F4F