Re: [tlug] Buying a Blackberry in Japan (OT)

Ai Ling <alchow@example.com> wrote:
> That price makes me think it is the Blackberry Bold 9000. That model was
> superseded by the Blackberry Bold 9700 (came out this year).

Thanks, I'll check when I go by Yodobashi later today.

> > I suppose she would be better off going for a nicer model in the States,
>
> This would be my recommendation (you also get English-language support,

I'm sure my daughter would rather have Japanese-language support. Also,
she plans to be in Japan for the long term, and intends to finish up at Ohio
State in one more year.

> Just out of curiousity, is there any reason not to wait for the Google
> Phone? ^_~

Several that I can think of offhand.

1. First and foremost: her father is technologically illiterate in the area of
cell phones. I got my first one 2 years ago at her insistence. (Me: I hate
the idea of having a chain around my neck handy for anyone to yank 24
hrs a day. If someone wants to talk to me they can leave a message.
Her: Dad, you can turn the damn thing off, or just not answer when you
see who it is. -- So I acceded. I think the family wanted to talk me into
it for the family discount on their contracts.)

2. Her Japanese cell phone is in the process of dying right now and really
needs to be replaced. It is 4 yrs old and starting to exhibit irrational
behaviour (for a cell phone). I don't know if I will be able to convince her
to wait 3 more weeks till she gets back to the States.

3. I don't like Microsoft and don't want to see Google become the next one.

--Ralph