Re: [tlug] Gnome-terminal question

2009/11/27 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>:
> On 2009-11-26 21:20 +1100 (Thu), Jim Breen wrote:

>> As part of the move, I have almost completely(*) ditched kterm and
>> along with it kinput2/canna/etc. For text editing the gnome terminal
>> is working well (I just wish the available fonts were a little better.)

> Interesting. But shouldn't you be able to use the same fonts with
> gnome terminal as you did with kterm?

No. kterm uses those old bdf/pcf bitmapped fonts. gt uses a more
modern batch.

>> My one gripe with gnome-terminal is that it launches set to UTF-8.
>> There are many occasions when I want EUC-JP...
>
> I'm curious, why would this be? I do everything in UTF-8 as far as
> display is concerned, and it's been working out fairly well for me.
> vim of course takes are of dealing with editing files stored as UTF-8,
> EUC-JP, Shift-JIS, or whatever, and when I just want to cat a file, or
> deal with a system that happens to have non-UTF-8 filenames or something
> like that, I just run the text through nkf.

A mass of legacy stuff. In particular all my dictionary stuff is still
maintained in EUC on a Solaris server at Monash. I use EUC-capable
editors. We are slowing moving towards an online edit environment which
will be in UTF8, but until then I don't want to put in a heap of work on a
strictly interim task.
--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University