[tlug] Gnome-terminal question

Well, I have moved from the RH/Fedora world with the installation
of Ubuntu 9.10 on my new system. Everything has gone pretty well.

As part of the move, I have almost completely(*) ditched kterm and
along with it kinput2/canna/etc. For text editing the gnome terminal
is working well (I just wish the available fonts were a little better.)

My one gripe with gnome-terminal is that it launches set to UTF-8.
There are many occasions when I want EUC-JP, and it's a pain to
have to pull down the menu and select the encoding. What I really
want is two terminal icons on my panel - one for UTF-8 and one for
EUC-JP. I've tried launching it with various locale-related
environment variable set to EUC-JP, but nothing changes.

The various Ubuntu forums don't give any useful advice.

Any suggestions?

Jim

(*) the only legacy situations where I use kterm are:
- to run xjdic. kterm when set to ISO-2022-JP mode, passes the
full escape sequences to the app. xjdic detects the closing
sequence and triggers a dictionary lookup immediately. Thus
you can get lookups just with a middle-button paste. The
other xterm equivalents don't alllow for this.
- editing Japanese text with JIS X 0212 characters. The EUC-JP
implementation in gnome-terminal, etc. doesn't support it.

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University