Re: [tlug] XEmacs vs. Unix

On 2009-11-22 12:37 +0000 (Sun), Josh Glover wrote:

> : jmglov@example.com; sync-from  # rsyncs laurana:`pwd` to cwd
> # since I didn't add the --delete option to rsync, both Foo/Bar/Baz.pm
> and Foo/Baz.pm exist on alhana
> # I keep editing Foo/Bar/Baz.pm, forgetting to open a new buffer for
> Foo/Baz.pm and close the old buffer

Actually, that's an emacs bug right there: I think that vim (and I think
nvi, too) would have told you that the file had changed. (Or Emacs and
vim are *both* buggy, and are thinking that files with different inode
numbers are the same file, just because they have the same date and
size.*)

[* Unless you're using a very special version of rsync I happen to
know of where the -^I option--yes, that's a hyphen followed by a
tab--preserves i-node numbers.]

> My idiocy is a symptom of a crazy workflow that I have not made sane.
> I'm taking steps to fix it, but there are historical reasons why I
> used to *have* to work this way (or at least, this was the best
> option).

The horrible thing is not that I understand how wrong that is, but that
I understand why you would do that, and I'm still dealing with similar
issues myself. You could look at unison, though it didn't fix all my
problems. These days I'm thinking git may help, but I'm still working
on dealing with all of the new problems it introduced in exchange for
fixing some of the old ones.

> Don't blame XEmacs for how I use it. :-P

Of course not! I have far too many other things for which to blame
*Emacs. (Though I must admit, Moore's law appears to have solved *Emacs'
swapping problems within a generation or two of solving xterm's.*)

[* rxvt is to xterm as vi is to _____.]

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com