Re: [tlug] better than programming (off-topic)

On 2009-11-17 18:38 +0900 (Tue), Shawn Brown wrote:

> I am shocked, absolutely shocked that anyone would say such a thing.

Really? I'm not. While you might feel that there's a difference between
prostitution and other sorts of essentially manual labour where you have
to pretend to like the client and/or touch them physically (salesman,
hostess, personal trainer, massage therapist, etc.), others (who perhaps
don't have your religious background, in particular) don't see such a
difference.

Some might even argue that giving the fruits of one's mind to others is
more degrading.

On 2009-11-17 19:39 +0900 (Tue), Michael Bitker wrote:

> Googling for "Belle de jour" might reveal more interesting information...
> Or so I heard.

"belle de jour" with "blog" will do the trick nicely.

On 2009-11-17 19:59 +0900 (Tue), Zuco Pietro wrote:

> If we compare the scenario for programmers in some companies like 12
> hours per day, a miserable salary, no motivation at all, dumb managers...

Indeed.

> Anyway she should not generalize in that way, saying that software
> development is such a bad and dirty work.

I don't think she was generalizing. I do believe she said that she
preferred her call-girl job to her particular computer programming job,
not to any computer programming job.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com