Re: [tlug] Files copied to USB thumb drive completely gone

On 2009-11-03 01:05 +0900 (Tue), Dave M G wrote:

> Bottom line is that the files are gone, which sucks because it's a
> couple days work out the window. But I can move on from that.

There's your lesson: for any project, not matter how small, use SCM.

Git is particularly useful for this because, not having a seperate repo,
it's very light to set up. Just "git init" in whatever directory you
happen to have started working, check in your work so far, and you're
done. You can then copy the repo either with git commands or with "cp".

The advantage of this scheme over just copying files around is that,
when you find yourself looking at multiple copies a week later, you can
easily found out what the differences are and which one is the latest
version. You can also easily move into the latest version a fix you
accidently made in an earlier version.

> What I am still mystified by is where the mistake took place, though.

I'm guessing that you're correct when you posit you may have simply
moved them to the wrong place. (It's the typical failure mode for
situations like this.) Did you try a find, running as root, over your
entire hard drive? Did you have any other storage attached to your
system at the time? Did you check all partitions on all storage devices?

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com