Re: [tlug] Files copied to USB thumb drive completely gone

Attila, Kalin, Curt,

Thank you for responding.

I was careful, as I usually am, to unmount the drive and wait for it to
say it's okay to remove before taking it out of the USB slot.

Even if I yanked it out before it finished synchronizing, shouldn't
there at least be partial files? We're talking about lots of text files,
not one large video file, so I would imagine that getting half way
through would mean half the files present.

It seems odd to me that even if there was some kind of error that the
drive would be so *completely* empty.

Bottom line is that the files are gone, which sucks because it's a
couple days work out the window. But I can move on from that.

What I am still mystified by is where the mistake took place, though. If
I had sent some accidental delete command, I probably should have seen
some status bar taking time to delete them, or they should have been
moved to the trash (since it was all done in Gnome).

If the drive had failed, or if I had taken it out too soon, there should
be damaged or incomplete files.

But it's all gone as if it never existed. It's just totally weird to me.

--
Dave M G