Re: [tlug] [OT] Home Internet router reccomendations

> I would be more interested in seeing is what kind of speed your LAN
> connections (LAN computer to LAN computer) are really going to get. I've
> heard, but don't have a home gigabit router to test, that the consumer level
> gigabit router/wireless access points aren't really capable of doing the
> advertised 1 gig speeds.

That's fair to say. Depends on your NIC of course, OS and a few other
factors (also switching vs. routing). My old Xubuntu box gets about
300Mbps switched to my Mac Mini over a wire if I remember back a
couple of years. Even though all the components support the various
jumbo packets sizes, I can never seem to get it to work.
This is mainly because they don't have the buffers and raw processing
power of say a Cisco 6509 gigabit line card. Still, a couple of years
ago my Corega cost ~5000yen on offer for 4 ports of gig and it's
'much' quicker than my old failing 100Mbit hub, so I'm happy. Built in
PSU too.

Graham