Re: [tlug] [OT] Home Internet router reccomendations

Kyle says:
It's actually very good.  I was able to break 100Mbps down a few times
on OCN hikari http://twitpic.com/aqojr
Prior to this router I was using PFsense in a VM using 1 core of a core2
duo 2GHz which was consistently slower according to speedtest.net but
this could be attributable to VM overhead.

I would be more interested in seeing is what kind of speed your LAN connections (LAN computer to LAN computer) are really going to get. I've heard, but don't have a home gigabit router to test, that the consumer level gigabit router/wireless access points aren't really capable of doing the advertised 1 gig speeds.

Jon Povey says:
I just signed up for NTT/OCN Hikari internet, and need to find myself a
router. I thought I'd double check / get some opinions rather than going
with the one they offered me (a Buffalo Airstation WZR-HP-G300NH for
10800 yen).

 I've recently been wanting to build myself a new home router but this time I was looking to go with a more DIY type router setup. I've yet to go through with it but some of the hardware I was looking at was:

http://www.soekris.com/
http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

These devices will happily run stripped down versions of linux and the bsd's. Depending on how much effort you want to put into it, these could be a real fun project :)

Romeo