Re: [tlug] [OT] eBooks

On 11/10/09 02:50, Shawn Brown wrote:

>> http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/2009/07/23/sony-reader-prs-505-in-linux-review/
>
> One thing the review seems to miss is that you apperantly can see
> images in color on windows/OSX via the EPUB format.  I'd assume or
> hope linux support will emerge as well.

The software mentioned at the URL above, Calibre, includes an integrated
eBook reader that supports ePub among other formats, so I'm fairly sure that
Linux support exists already.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. It's given me a bit more info to go on
before making a choice and I'm going to stick with the Sony PRS-505.

The thing is, I'm really not interested in a touch-screen device because I
have no intention of making any notes on books - I just want to read them.
Also, I think a 6" screen is a minimum requirement in order not to have
something that's so small it does as much damage to your eyes as squinting
at a monitor, unless you want 10 lines of text on-screen and you don't mind
flipping pages every 3 seconds. Plus I like the looks of it more than the
other eReaders. I also like the idea of there being no charger (the thing
draws power off a USB port to charge its battery).

I know I vowed never to buy another Sony product after the "rootkit on a CD"
fiasco a few years ago, but to my mind this is indeed the superior product
and it has the smallest price tag as well (probably because there's no touch
screen).

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Stupidity is NOT a handicap. Park elsewhere!