Re: [tlug] Ubuntu installer

Johan Berntsson wrote:

> Don't know if this is your problem, but some time ago there was a SATA
> race condition on certain motherboards (for instance Dell Inspiron
> 530) which causes the boot to hang. A work-around was to go into BIOS
> and change SATA_MODE from IDE to RAID.

Thanks, Johan. I had a look. Mine is an MSI "Classic Series" motherboard, and I looked at the BIOS settings. Found the SATA mode set to IDE in a sub-menu of a sub-menu. Only problem is, I can't change it. I click on options and the only option is IDE. It evidently can't even be disabled on this motherboard.

I'm pretty sure this is a lost cause, this motherboard must be incompatible with this installer. My son will have to make do with openSUSE, although I am going to give that Turkish Pardus linux a go and see if he likes KDE. I prefer Gnome myself.

----------------------------------

Curt Sampson wrote:

> This is as simple (for you) as two words: "install away!" :-)

Curt, I have done this over and over and over and over.

> As far as the network problem, so long as the Live CD had Internet
> access, it's almost certainly solvable without too much difficulty.

One would think. However, once installed it will not boot.

> I suggest you start by logging in and then running "sudo

No can do. Won't boot. Can't log in unless I can boot.

Invariably at "Configuring network interfaces" it gives a "[fail]" result and hangs, with "fail" in red letters.

I suspect Johan was onto something with certain motherboards not being able to boot without changes that I am obviously unable to make with this motherboard.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
--Ralph