Re: [tlug] Ubuntu installer

Raedwolf Summoner wrote:
> Johan Berntsson wrote:
>
>  > A work-around was to go into BIOS
>  > and change SATA_MODE from IDE to RAID.
>
> Thanks, Johan. I had a look. Mine is an MSI "Classic Series"
> motherboard, and I looked at the BIOS settings. Found the SATA mode set
> to IDE in a sub-menu of a sub-menu. Only problem is, I can't change it.
> I click on options and the /only/ option is IDE. It evidently can't even
> be disabled on this motherboard.

First, have you gone to Ubuntu.org to check the list of what works with
what else?  If your mobo isn't there, there is probably a solution.

IIRC, there are two or three different BIOS settings that may affect
your ability to choose IDE -> SATA.  Happened to me.  Working from my
memories of recently setting up a mobo with an Award BIOS:

-  do you have a setting for startup disk that gives you a choice of IDE
or SATA?  Do you have it set to SATA?

-  do you have a boot device order setting?  Are you set for CD/DVD and
then SATA HDD?

I vaguely remember a third disk type setting that may change your luck
but  it is escaping me, right now.

> I'm pretty sure this is a lost cause, this motherboard must be
> incompatible with this installer.

Not necessarily.  Look around at your settings more as a holistic
organism and you may begin to see a few more relationships.  Mine drove
me crazy for several days before I finally figured out what on one page
was influenced by what else on another.  Not all relationships are
immediately obvious.

--
CL