Re: [tlug] [OT] Job hunting

Joe Larabell wrote:
... Apparently, he couldn't get working
permission (?/visa?) until he had a regular permanent address, and they
didn't want to move anywhere until they knew where he was going to work.
That doesn't make sense -- being married to a Japanese citizen, you should be able to get a spousal visa even before coming to Japan.

Yes. I got mine in San Francisco before coming to Tokyo. I was told there are 2 spousal visas, though, so make sure you get the one that lets you live /and/ work in Japan. You will need some documents from your wife's family in Japan, too, so give yourself some time to get everything.

And... once you have a spousal visa, you shouldn't need any further permission to work.

That's what I was told, too, but when I got here my company also required me to have my Alien Registration Card before they'd hire me. That was a bit of a rush job, and immigration required a permanent address. But it worked out ok.

Anyway... I'd check with the Japanese consulate *before* coming to Japan.

That's good advice for sure. :)

Jim