Re: [tlug] System security and public policy [was: Anyone seen this gizmo yet?]

Sotaro Kobayashi writes:

 > However, my opiniopn is that most of all businesses including MS
 > Japan and consumer unions have been initiated by the government
 > MITI (METI) with beneficiary for so long years here, so I think no
 > grass root power of computing security monitoring NPO can not be
 > found here, very unfortunately.

Don't despair *now*!  "Grass roots" is about people power.  Remember,
the consumer movement in Japan was started by a bunch of housewives,
and only later coopted by business and the ministries.  Sure, it's
easier to start a movement and maintain its independence in the
U.S. and Europe, but *think*: Japan is undergoing an historic change,
which we can identify with "8/30".  It's never been easier to start a
grass-roots movement here, and consumer advocacy (eg, the ombudsman)
is starting to become institutionalized.

Combine that with the economic crisis and the value proposition for
the LAMP stack and other open-source-based solutions, the generally
lower power demands of open-source-based solutions (Linux is "eco"!),
and much greater responsiveness to external demands such as network
security by default, there is a real opportunity here IMO.

Don't look to the new adminstration to do much (in this area or any
other), though ... their hands will be quite full just learning where
the bathrooms are in the ministries they'll be leading.<0.5 wink>

 > I think a public mass media such as NHK should take a stronger role
 > on leading people's opinion from more neutral viewpoint which is
 > completely independent from government and businesses.
 >
 > BBC is a role model, I think ...

BBC is a world treasure.  Unfortunately, it is unique, and I think it
would be especiallly difficult to emulate it in Japan, though.  I
suspect the blog sector will "do something" (quite unpredictable!) in
this area.