Re: [tlug] Anyone seen this gizmo yet?

On 01/09/09 13:50, Sotaro Kobayashi wrote:

> People should be more informed about securty vulnerabilty all over the
> world

I agree with that, but it's not going to happen until they WANT to be informed.

You and I know what safe hex is and why it's so important. Most users just
want to push the button and get instant pr0n. They don't want to know about
firewalls, anti-spyware and all that gobbledygook. They just want it to
"work" and as such they're totally reliant upon the vendor of their
operating system, browser and MUA. If the default settings of those pieces
of software are tantamount to a security Swiss cheese, the first they'll
know about it is if their pr0n download is slower than usual because the
bandwidth is being hogged by traffic going through that open proxy that was
set up by one of the gazillion trojans infesting the machine. Even then,
they'll probably chalk it up to the machine getting old and/or full up and
just buy another one.

Never underestimate the cluelessness of the average computer user.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't blow up will be the day
they start making inflatable dolls.