Re: [tlug] Does the "+" sign have special meaning in Javascript?

On 8/26/2009 5:48 PM, Dave M G wrote:
TLUG,

I am using the open source "Flowplayer" to deliver some video content on
a web site. For anyone not familiar, "Flowplayer" is basically a Flash
wrapper on a FLV video file, so it can be played in a browser, like how
YouTube and others do it. "Flowplayer" uses Javascript to help set up
the player within the HTML you put it in.

Due to some naming conventions of my own design, the URL that points to
the FLV file that is played contains a "+" character.

When this "+" character was included, I got an error saying the video
could not be found. Take out the "+" character, and the video is found.

I think it might be the Javascript that is squelching the "+" character.

What I'm wondering is if this is something usual with Javascript, or is
it localized just to the Javascript for this player? I'm so clueless
about Javascript that I'm not sure if I'm phrasing my Google searches
right, because I'm not coming up with anything.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

+ sign is used to concatenate strings in Javascript.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Guide/Operators/String_Operators

Hope that helps.

Kyle Hasegawa