Re: [tlug] Unix's 40th Birthday

Curt Sampson writes:

 > Another way to put it is that admins care not very much about Linux, or
 > any Unix kernel, but about the tools. Given the choice of Windows with a
 > full cygwin installation, or a Unix where you had to use the DOS shell,
 > which would you take?

When did we drill down to kernels?  I musta missed it.

As far as I'm concerned, the Unix kernel is just another one of the
tools that comprise a Unix system, and it's not even a totally
essential part (in Mac OS X, for example, Mach, not Unix, manages the
hardware; Unix runs on top of Mach).  Damn, maybe I'll have to shave
my beard off, you seem to think I'm RMS, making a clear distinction
between the kernel and the tools it's associated with.