Re: [tlug] Unix's 40th Birthday

Curt Sampson writes:

 > Their EOS may be based on Linux, but it sounds as if it's a mere
 > control system for the hardware and software that does the real
 > work.

First I must concede that at the low-level "runs the Internet"
means "routes packets", that is what I meant, and it was at best
hyperbole as you and Jim have pointed out.

Nonetheless, it is important to note that "runs the Internet" can also
be interpreted in terms of the control system that manages the
switches, diagnoses faults, and generates reports.  I think that's a
very interesting viewpoint, and that Unix has a very prominent role
there.