Re: [tlug] Yes! Another argument about the GPL! You knew you wanted it....

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM, JC Helary<brandelune@example.com> wrote:

>>> The GPL, come to think of it, has a particularly American point of
>>> view,
>>> concentrating on punishing bad behaviour over giving the
>>> opportunity for
>>> good behaviour to happen.
>
> ??? Punisshing ? Only the legal system punishes. The GPL uses
> copyright law to propose a way to share information and copyright law
> is sure not a US exclusivity.
>

> Jean-Christophe Helary

The wording of the  new GPL though, and the people who are pushing it,
come(s) across as rather threatening though.  There is a section of
the website that discusses cases they have "won" in enforcing the
license.  The information all comes across as rather punitive.

People have probably already heard my rant on the subject, so I will
just summarize my view. :-) It will save us all a lot of time that
way.

The Free Software Foundation has liked to use a certain quote since
before they took on that name.  "Free as in Speech, not as in beer!"

As far as I can tell, GPL v 3 is very focused on making sure that free
means free beer for everyone, and everyone better shut up and like it.
 :/  I put in my inputs where I could during the drafting of the
thing, but got the same response as others who saw things from my
perspective.  There was a pervading mood of "If you like version 2,
you are commie scum!" throughout the entire revision process.

I like the BSD license because what it gives IS freedom.  It IS
freedom of expression.  If you want the free beer too, you can
probably work that out.  The only problem I ever saw with the license
was the advertisement clause, and it was removed some time ago.

If you use my work, give credit where credit is due.  My work will
stay free.  Do whatever the hell you want with your work.  :-) THAT is
the plain English version of the BSD license.