Re: [tlug] Hey, can I have some purple berries -- BTW, who won (the war)? [was: Zurus distributions experience]

On 2009-08-06 13:53 +0900 (Thu), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> But what good would such an article do?

It would a) get it into the literature, and b) present it to an audience
who are likely to accept a well reasoned argument and change their
behaviour based on it, and c) present it where such will to change could
have a fairly large effect, to wit, to a very large audience of people
many of whom create open source software that is likely to become the
basis of broadly used tools in the future.

There are larger audiences of OSS developers you could reach outside of
the academic community, but I expect there are far fewer within that
larger audience that are going to be swayed in what license they use by
a paper presenting a rigorous analysis.

I would personally love to have something like this to be able to hand
to people when they ask why I don't feel the GPL is very good for free
software, and they won't accept my three minute summary (or want to
argue with it).

But then again, maybe I'm just an academic at heart. :-)

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com