[tlug] Hey, can I have some purple berries -- BTW, who won (the war)? [was: Zurus distributions experience]

Bruno Raoult writes:

 > I don't understand the "we". Which group are you speaking about?

The GNU Project.  We have a free operating system, it will be free
forever.  In fact, we have about five, where there should only be one.

Note that there will always be good reasons for having more than one
free OS *project*: Linus is a self-proclaimed bastard who drops
contributions on the floor without acknowledgement merely because they
don't work, some people can't stand to work in a Theo-cracy (I guess
that makes them a-Theo-ists), the HURD don't work, Darwin doesn't
evolve fast enough, whatever.

But the free software world ought to be able to share snippets of
code, documentation, flamage, etc freely, and it can't.  Not even
within the GNU System itself (the V3 part of which is dependent on the
V2 Linux kernel to even run at all).

And the duplication is reproduced everywhere: OpenSSL vs. GNUTLS, KDE
vs. GNOME, XEmacs vs. Emacs, etc.  I'm sorry, that just ain't what I
signed up for after reading the GNU Manifesto.