Re: [tlug] Open-source repository question

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Jon Povey writes:
> Not quite sure what you mean by this, see my description above of > feature branches with repeated merge-from-trunk operations and merge > tracking. Are you aware of that ability in Subversion?

Yes, and it's useful, but still very constraining.  It also took many
years to get it.

And it's not quite right yet. I ran into some sequence of operations that broke it; something like branch, SVN move something, attempt to reintegrate = Bang! The approved fix was to hack the mergeinfo properties by hand. Tolerable but not very inspiring.

> Perhaps you mean that changes made on the branch have to stay there > until you reintegrate the branch - there are ways around it but yes, > that is the normal model.

That is indeed what I meant.  As far as "ways around it" go, there
were ways around the problems of CVS, too, but they were all of the
"don't try this at home, kids" variety.  I don't know enough about
Subversion to judge whether the means you're talking about are
similarly fraught. :-)

Having only used CVS and Subversion, I'm pretty sure they are :) Cherry pick by hand and be careful when you merge. Possibly hand-hack some mergeinfo metadata too.

I don't know any better, not having got round to trying git, or others, yet. I'm sorry to say I've been spoiled by TortoiseCVS and TortoiseSVN; I'm waiting for TortoiseGit to stabilise :)

--
Jon Povey
jon@example.com