Re: [tlug] The Android Has Landed

On 07/10/2009 07:35 PM, Dave M G wrote:

Got my Android phone this afternoon, and it is sweeeeeet. Lots of cool
things, but I won't go all fan-boy on this list.

Cool :) I got mine too yesterday. The phone itself is pretty good,
but I had forgotten what a PITA buying a phone in Japan is. Activating
it takes forever and there is waay too much paperwork, getting even
more complicated by me being gajin. But enough ranting :)

Initial notes:

When responding to Nikolay, I said the 30,000 difference between the
total cost of the phone and what they are selling it for was "baked
into" the monthly service plans. Well, it's actually more overt than
that. The salesman showed me a graph showing that if I leave any time
over the next 2 years, I will have to pay the remainder of the cost of
the phone. They increment it to the month.

You also have to pay the remainder if you change your phone (kishuhenkou). But if you wait for, say, an year, it's not too bad: 16,000. Don't know what I'll do if the latest and greatest Android phone lands for Christmas...

I got the white model, and the headphone adaptor (necessary, because it
does not have a regular mini-phono jack) is black. Kind of a miss, but a
minor one.

They also sell HTC miniUSB headphones for 1500. But AFAIK those are black only too (it doesn't say anything about colour on the box).

Lastly, email push works fine. Mail to my Gmail address goes straight to
my phone like a regular keitai mail address.

Maybe it's a bit too integrated -- you have to import your phone book
to Gmail too. But I guess I can live with that.

Now let's see how long I can last before I (jail)break it :)