Re: [tlug] [TLUG] Rsync exclusion question

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Josh Glover<jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/10 Doug McLean <dmclean635@example.com>:
>
>> Sorry, are those pound signs you're using there?  If so, why does that
>> help resolve the issue?
>
> Well, those excludes are just for Emacs backup files. You'd want:
>
> rsync -av --exclude '*.lease' ...
>
> The problem with your command is almost certainly that you used
> double-quotes, which meant that the shell will expand the *, thus
> rsync cannot glob. Simply using single quotes instead or escaping the
> * should sort it.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Josh

Thanks Josh, I am trying that now.  I will give it about 24-48 hours
burn in to confirm that fixed the issue.  Initial tests showed that
single-quotes work well enough.  :)  I did try the exclude-file
earlier, and that too seems to have worked, but in my case, I will
only ever need to exclude .lease files, so the external file option is
not as elegant.  If I had multiple files or types to exclude, that
solution seems to be more ideal (thank you Mike).

So, if I understand right, the shell expanded the * before rsync had a
chance to interpret the command, correct?  If so, that would explain
why it's not seeing any files to exclude.

Thanks much!  I owe you one.  ;)

--
Doug McLean

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/