Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 10:03 AM, JC Helary<brandelune@example.com> wrote:

> On lundi 08 juin 09, at 12:16, Brett Robson wrote:
>
>> I read Dogs and Demons. That is a very negative
>> book but put into perspective all the white elephants projects I had
>> seen.
>

> I started reading Dogs and Demons a week before the Enron scandal
> started hitting the fan. When Enron was all over the place in the news
> I closed the book. I thought it lacked a great deal of perspective.
>

> Jean-Christophe Helary

I wonder, if someone were to live in two or more different foreign
countries (Western countries don't count because they are too
familiar), I bet you'd begin to see common threads.  A friend I know
who has lived in South Korea for a long time echoes many of the same
complaints.  A few things about Korea seem unique to the culture, but
the complaints about broken system, being shut out as a foreigner,
corruption in the system and so on sound all too familiar.  I don't
thinks there's anything really unique to Japan here.

I bet in some book store in Asia there's a "Dogs and Demons"
equivalent bemoaning the broken system in the US or Europe.  :)

One's experiences cannot be a 100% reliable guide to life because you
can only draw conclusions based on what you've experienced (as opposed
to things you've never experienced).  We color our perception of life
based on what we know and how we were raised.  The same of course can
be said for everyone we know or don't know.

--
Doug McLean

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/