Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

2009/6/5 Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com>:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
>> Why should we read and learn about how "software engineering is"
>> before experiencing it?
>
> Maybe, but that is a different argument, your argument.

To me, the two appear equivalent, but, as you say:

> [I]t is far easier to be dispassionate and objective about [scientific fields].

OK, I grant you this.

> I think the problem is that we have too much invested in our own
> countries and cultures to look objectively at others.  Until you can get
> past that, reading about how things are will just confirm your opinions
> and prejudices, and make it harder to listen and understand.

Good point, and this is why I think study abroad programmes
(especially the one year variety) are so important. Until I had lived
outside of the US, I really had no idea a) how the US is perceived by
the rest of the world, b) how Americans are perceived by the rest of
the world--which is not the same as (a), interestingly enough--and c)
what it really means to be American.

Once I had my own identity mostly sorted, it became possible to think
about Japan in a more open-minded way.

So far we agree. The only quibble I have with what you are saying is
that I don't think it is valuable to dissuade people from reading
books before they are "ready" for them. The important stuff keeps
bubbling up, so if I read "Enigma" 10 years ago and thought it was
shite (I did, BTW), but Steve's comments make me think I may have
missed something (they did, and I had), I'm likely to re-evaluate what
I read (I did), and re-read the book (pending).

All I can say about "Enigma" is that after three years of living in
Tokyo, it didn't seem as far off base as I had remembered.

(Another interesting case in point: I tried reading LotR when I was
10, and *hated* it. So I read "The Hobbit" about five more times, then
tried LotR again when I was 13 or so, and the rest, as they say, is
AWESOME!!!)

> I would also say that most of the important books worth reading haven't
> been written, because people are too busy living them, can't or won't
> talk about them.  I don't think there is any substitute for experience
> and an open mind.

Hrm... I think this is why God invented nomikai. ;)

> This reminds my of a story by a friend who was working in an IT
> company.  The two Japanese English translators were arguing about how to
> translate an advertisement because the native English speaker was wrong.

Heh, this happens with my wife a couple of times a month. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh