Re: [tlug] UNIX jobs on TLUG (was: Database frontend in Linux)

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 17:24, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/2 Michael Bitker <mbitker@example.com>:
>
> Let me try something: { $assertion = s/Japanese/Large/g; $assertion =
> s/gaishikei/smaller/g; print $assertion }
>
> Just stating my experience. Large companies are far less likely to
> let go of their legacy systems and embrace new technologies compared
> to smaller companies. It's a matter of perspective and culture. Most
> Large companies still hold on to the outdated idea of IT being
> nothing more than a barely necessary expense (a big one that that)
> rather than as a competitive advantage. I don't know what drives this
> attitude, but it does exist.

If you have 10~20 employees it is much easier to replace a system and
teach them how to use it.

If you have 10.000 to 20.000 employees the costs to do this are so
enormous that is cheaper to have some poor slob support a system
written 10 years ago in some archaic language nobody knows anymore and
you can only read with a triple rosetta stone.

It even doesn't need to be that big, around 200 people are enough to
make any of those software changes a horrible drag ...

--
Clemens Schwaighofer
gullevek@example.com / gullevek@example.com