Re: [tlug] Gentoo install issues - hda vs. sda

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

This is a problem with transitioning to libata based drivers in which
everything is a /dev/sdX device file.  I suspect the libata pata driver
for the device is not considered stable enough for the boot cd so it has
been disabled and  the older drivers that generate devices like /dev/hdX
are being used instead.  This will depend on which driver and which
kernel you use.

I think that is exactly what the problem was.  That's what's unfortunate; the gentoo documentation is so good up until a point, but then it doesn't point out key issues like that that may come up -- if you're asking users to configure their own kernels, you may as well expect that they'll encounter such issues.  But I digress-- the box is up and running, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.  It boots fast, so that's the benefit of rolling my own?

Anyway.  If there are any Gentoo fanatics on the list (obviously Josh is not one?) please let me know so I can target my further questions... ;)

The tasks from now are:

(1) Setting up Samba to connect to my Buffalo NAS
(2) Setting up OpenVPN (although open to suggestion if anyone has a better idea) to allow me to access said NAS offsite
(3) Setting up git so I can get my eeevil development projects (=the next killer iPhone app) underway
(4) Pretending to ignore Stephen's comments about recruiters...

Mark