Re: [tlug] Gentoo install issues - hda vs. sda

Josh Glover wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>
>> Josh can probably fill us in--Josh, if you see this, has Gentoo decided,
>> well shucks, Fedora never documents anything and they're doing alright,
>> why should *we* update after 2003?

This is a problem with transitioning to libata based drivers in which
everything is a /dev/sdX device file.  I suspect the libata pata driver
for the device is not considered stable enough for the boot cd so it has
been disabled and  the older drivers that generate devices like /dev/hdX
are being used instead.  This will depend on which driver and which
kernel you use.

One way around the problem is to install grub on /dev/hda and use the
filesystem label instead of the device filename to locate the root
filesystem.  I have used this when moving the kuro box firmware from a
2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel.

> No, Gentoo has decided:
>
> a) Let's spend all of our time writing policy docs and complaining on
> IRC and the project mailing lists about how all we do is write policy
> docs.
> b) Let's point out even the smallest violation of policy in a dickish
> way, rather than trying to help people DTRT.
> c) Let's auto-retire developers who have had no Bugzilla or CVS
> activity in 60 days, so that people who would otherwise spend a five
> to seven weekends a year hacking through ebuilds have to remember to
> make a Bugzilla comment saying, "I'll get to this soon" to prevent
> having their developer status snatched from them.
> d) Let's make sure people affected by (c) have to take the ebuild
> policy and Gentoo policy quizzes *every* frackin' time they want to go
> active again to ensure that re-activating a lapsed developer takes a
> good three weeks.
> e) Let's have huge arguments on IRC and project mailing lists every
> three months that cause 25% of the active developers to quit, 10% to
> start a Gentoo fork that goes nowhere, and 5% to actively try to
> sabotage the Gentoo project.

Too true, but how did you ever become a Gentoo developer with that
attitude ;)

Edward