Re: [tlug] Gentoo install issues - hda vs. sda

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:40:51PM +0900, Mark Makdad wrote:
> TLUG,
>

> Eventually, I hacked fstab and grub.conf enough to be able to get the system
> running (of course on /dev/sda3).
>
> I assume that I changed something between my kernel and the LiveCD kernel --
> does anyone have any idea what I did?  While I am up and running now, I'd
> rather avoid this sort of thing down the road should I have to re-install.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

sda is now standard for all types of drives. I'm surprised that Gentoo
docs, which were so excellent for so long, are so out of date.  Of
course, Daniel Robbins (no relation, though I met him once through
tlugger Jack Morgan) writes some of the best docs I have seen and he's
no longer there.

Josh can probably fill us in--Josh, if you see this, has Gentoo decided,
well shucks, Fedora never documents anything and they're doing alright,
why should *we* update after 2003?

To completely whine off-topic.  Fedora has eliminated xorg.conf as well
as ctl+alt+backspace, the latter apparently being an xorg decision.

So, they put in their release notes that one could revert to having a
working ctl+alt+backspace by editing xorg.conf.  I pointed out that this
would confuse the newcomer as there is no xorg.conf by default and it
was suggested I register and edit the wiki which I did.

So, the next day, it was removed from the release notes, back
to sending the newcomer to a non-existent xorg.conf.   And mentioning
they should edit the ServerFlags section--of course, even if you *get*
an xorg.conf by doing X -configure, it has no ServerFlags section and
I'm sure the forums will be full of people asking how to do it.

The Gentoo saying use hda is Fedora-ish, and I'm wondering if you simply
navigated by mistake to a dated install guide.

Sigh.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6