Re: [tlug] Flash and Firexfox 2

2009/3/13 Gen Kanai <gkanai@example.com>:
> On Mar 13, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Jim Breen wrote:
>> So the same problem that is stopping me using FF3 is nobbling FF2's use of
>> the flash plugin. I guess one of those periodic updates of FF2 brought in
>> the
>> requirement to have libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.
>
> Mozilla did not adopt the use of Cairo until Firefox 3.

Ah. So the later Flash plugin(s) use Cairo.

OK, I had a V7 copy of libflashplayer.so, so I put that in the usual places,
and <da-dah>it works!</da-dah>.

Thanks everyone for the "solution", and for helping clarify the situation.

> Cairo has given Mozilla the ability to support a number of the more complex
> double-byte languages that Mozilla was not able to do so adequately before
> (such as Thai; and Arabic support is better too, fwiw.)

I can live without that for a while.

While we're on the topic of FF3, I have a grizzle.

In WWWJDIC I put an "ID="XXX"" on the radio buttons and wrap a <label> for
XXX around the front part of the display of a dictionary entry. This has the
effect of allowing users to select the radio button just by clicking on the
entry. It worked fine on all browsers for years until along came Firefox 3.
With FF3 it still works that way, but it stops users selecting any text from
the entry, e.g. for a later paste. I got a flurry of emails from users when
FF3 first arrived, and as a work-around the ID/label feature can be disabled
via a cookie setting.

IMNSHO this is a bug in FF3. Nothing I can see in the HTML specs indicates
that text inside a <label/> can't be selected.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen