Re: [tlug] [OT] Interesting info for foreigners living in JP

On 2009-01-06 10:24 +0900 (Tue), CL wrote:

>> it's nice to think that there's a possibility that one day I can head
>> south out of Shinjuku down Meiji-dori on my bicycle of an evening and
>> not get stopped by the police.
>
> I really do not understand how anyone can get stopped and checked
> continuously, but you and Debit seem to be the two exceptions that prove
> the rule.

Far from it. I know several gaijin who regularly get stopped when going
down that particular street in the evenings. If you want to get stopped
by the police, it's an easy way to do it.

> What are you doing to bring such attention to yourself?

Riding my bike in that area at that time.

I don't belive it's something about me as an individual in particular.
For example, I've never been stopped and searched in Shibuya, despite
walking around Shibuya pretty much every day (I live there), though I
frequently (several times a week) see others being stopped and searched,
both gaijin and nihonjin.

> If this really is a continuing problem:

Well, it's not a problem I can't live with. I have no intention of
taking the Arudo approach to this sort of thing, in part because I
really don't want to pay the costs of that. I'm merely glad that
someone's working to move this society towards one that is more fair to
outsiders.

Thank you for your advice on how to deal with this, by the way; were I
going to take the time to do more than show my gaijin card, wait for
him to check the bike license, and move on, I would certainly take your
approach.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com