Re: [tlug] Quoting...yet again

TOP repsonses sucks!

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 17:47, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2008-12-17 22:38 -0500 (Wed), Scott Robbins wrote:
>
>> Many people are extremely busy, and if they see something top posted,
>> they aren't going to bother scrolling down to see what it's about and
>> will just delete it.

<Top Response Rant>

My I add my two cents of "Top Response". I am also from the times of
usenet, 1200 baud modems and stuff and quoting correctly was necessary
to keep the messages small.

Nowadays we live in a time of excessive HTML mail, 50 line "legal BS
footers", etc.

I work in a large global company and we have a global IT mailing list.
Nobody, not a single person of those IT people (even the older ones)
do normal quoting. They all top responde. Oh what fucking fun it is to
read such a long thread in eg google. It comes to a scroll-o-mania.
Three lines of answer, then you have the old mail(s) including the
wonderful 50 lines fucking bullshit nobody gives a crap about legal
footers, etc etc.

But I got used to this, not only there, but in daily company mail. Not
a single person does normal quoting. They just quote all and send the
reply on top. It might be good to have the complete context quotet,
but getting things out is reading reverse history.

Fighting this, is like fighting against windmills, you can charge them
but they wont move an inch away and you will just break your head.

And, last, I have to admit, that in the office I often gave up and do
the damn top reply too. At least I have not yet given in to HTML mail
with bloody images as footers ... Or colorfull 20px font stuff ... and
what not else.

--
Clemens Schwaighofer
gullevek@example.com / gullevek@example.com