Re: [tlug] Quoting...yet again

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 10:39:41PM +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> > On 2008-12-17 22:38 -0500 (Wed), Scott Robbins wrote:
> >> Many people are extremely busy /../
> > /../

> > But more important is to get the new stuff right in front of me. /../
> > The worst thing you can possibly do is quote more than a few lines at
> > the start of your message. /../

Yes, more than a few lines.  It's a judgement call. We can have another
long drawn out wasted thread for those who have time.

We've gone through this many times.  The eventual decision was that
inline posting is preferred, as it is on most technical lists.

> As Curt says, he wants to see the
> new stuff up front. Anyone with a brain tuned the same way as the
> writer's doesn't need to know more, and for all others the expanded
> arguments and facts should be available lower down.

Most people on this list look through over 100 emails a day and don't
expect to be able to realize what every email is about.   I don't buy
that argument, unless you are sure that your email is so important that
someone is going to take the time to figure out what it's about.

However, the majority of top posters on this list are usually newcomers
asking for help.

We've gone through this many times, you can search through the archives
if you wish.  The decision was that inline posting is preferred, when
people don't, as the (apparently) only active remaining moderator, I get
emails from long time members asking me to point that out to the top
posting, non-trimming newcomer.

You can argue it if you wish, you can top post if you wish, but I
believe that the fact remains, you are less likely to have your email
read, and question answered, at least on this list, if you do so.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike (watching, from a distance, a conversation between
Angel and a woman he just rescued):How can I thank you, you
mysterious black-clad-hunk-of-a-knight-thing?
No need little lady. Your tears of gratitude are enough for me. You
see, I was once a bad-ass vampire. But love, and a pesky curse,
defanged me. And now, I'm just a *big* fluffy puppy with bad teeth.
No! Not the hair! Never the hair.
But there must be some way I can show my appreciation.
No, helping those in need's my job. And working up a load of sexual
tension and prancing away like a magnificent poof is truly thanks
enough.
I understand. I have a nephew who's gay, so...
Say no more. Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that Nancy-boy
hair gel I like so much. Quickly! To the Angel-mobile! Away!