Re: [tlug] Unlocked Android phone

2008/12/9 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>:
> On 2008-12-09 16:51 +0900 (Tue), Ian Wells wrote:
>
>> If you want it as a Linux box rather than having to use Java to
>> program it, then this would be a good thing...
>
> I would guess, actually, that you could use most any language that can
> compile to a JVM. Admittedly, compared to what's available in C or
> similar for Linux, that's still a very limited set of options. Wikipedia
> mentions only Ruby, Groovy, JavaScript, Python, Common Lisp, Scala,
> Forth, and Clojure.

More often than not, it's not compiling that's the problem, it's using
what other people have done.  Anything you might care to pick that you
could get as a dpkg or source and could run on a desktop, you can only
run on your phone if you have access to the shell and the Linux exec()
environment rather than the (lovingly developed, but nevertheless new)
Android environment.

Of course, from past experience, when I *can* do this, I don't
actually do it at all.  Hence it's a good thing to be able to sit on
your hands when confronted with internet shopping sites. ;-)

--
Ian.