Re: [tlug] Unlocked Android phone

2008/12/9 Christian Horn <chorn@example.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:46:33AM +0900, Ian Wells wrote:
>> In the unlikely event that you lot don't all ready Slashdot, Google
>> have released an Android phone which isn't carrier-locked:
>>
>> http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/05/sim-hardware-unlocked-android-dev-phone-1-surfaces-for-399/
>
> Not exactly sure what the "developer"-label means here,

I assumed that the point was that you could completely reflash it,
rather than it being end-user where you could only upgrade the apps.
If you want it as a Linux box rather than having to use Java to
program it, then this would be a good thing...

> android-devices now start coming up, another one is the
> Kogan Agora (pro):
> http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/category/mobile-phones/

That one really does look tempting.  But not until someone actually
gets their hands on it long enough to say that it won't fall apart the
first time you sneeze in its direction.

> I for myself will wait a little longer since there are some devices
> on the market to compare - of course, keeping hands still is not
> easy ;)

Yeah, that would be where I am at the moment.  Nice to know nearly
everything that's coming out is 3G and stands a chance of working here
though.

--
Ian.