Re: [tlug] Can't write to 500GB USB Drive

On 2008-12-08 13:01 +0900 (Mon), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> The Linux convention is that (unless otherwise configured) that
> information is inherited from the mount point. Thus, once you own the
> mount point you'll be OK.

Well, I'm not all that familiar with this bit of Linux, but certainly,
for me with an ext3 file system, mount point permissions are entirely
ignored and the file system's permissions are used instead. Which only
makes sense.

Perhaps you were thinking that for DOS file systems, where no ownership
information is available, it uses the ownership of the mount directory.
Though that didn't seem to be the case for me under Linux, though it is
under NetBSD.

cjs