Re: [tlug] Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:08:31 +0900
Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> Well, then perahps we differ on our definition of "production-ready." Or
> are the binary packages of authors latest releases generally less stable
> for some reason than the authors' releases compiled from source?
>
> I'd really like a 2.5.x version of pidgin. 2.5.2 has been out for over a
> month, and 2.5.0 came out over three months ago. But I could even live
> with the five-month old 2.4.3. On Ubuntu, I'm stuck with eight-month-old
> pidgin 2.4.1 (and all [or most] of its bugs).

Why don't you set up your own repository? Here you could add your
customized packages and other unstable stuff like recent pidgin.
Switching to another distribution will create a dozen other problems. If
you want the bleeding edge stuff then other things will break.