Re: [tlug] Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Curt Sampson
<cjs@example.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu has a fair number of annoyances for me, as folks are
<snip>
> I'm looking for a new distribution. I'd like to solicit suggustions.
>
> Here are my criteria, in approximate order of importance.
>
> * Support for "full-disk encryption," or as close as Linux gets (which I
> guess is an unencrypted boot partition), and an enter-passphrase-on-boot
<snip>

I am not sure about full disk encryption, as I haven't bothered in
that direction so far.  However, overall, I like Arch.

I do not think it meats your automated updates requirement, but I have
a script that I run manually on a daily basis.  :P

As for up to date, of the seven times I run the script each week,
there are updates at least four to five of those times.

Patches are often and thurough.

Nothing is installed by default, you have to tell it what you want,
and you have to tell it to install a desktop environment, so the
desktop environment is up to you.

I am guessing from your requirements that you are going to be working
with other people, but if you come up with a configuration you like,
it should not take long to set up individual work stations.

I do not think you are going to be happy with any "User Friendly"
distros, because they all tend to open up everything under the sun by
default, your better option is probably to go with a more techi
friendly distro and then add things from there.  :-)  I think Arch is
a happy medium!  I am certainly happy with it.