[tlug] Full-disk encryption (was: Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu)

On 月, 2008-11-24 at 23:12 +0900, Kenneth Burling wrote:
> > * Support for "full-disk encryption," or as close as Linux gets
> (which I
> > guess is an unencrypted boot partition), and an
> enter-passphrase-on-boot
> <snip>
>
> I am not sure about full disk encryption, as I haven't bothered in
> that direction so far.

How about truecrypt? I installed it on my laptop, but haven't gotten
around to turning it on. The documentation is extensive, but it's
entirely about the Windows version. Version 6 looks like the Windows
version, but requires the wx libraries, which I do not feel like
installing. (It's a big thing that I have no other use for.) The older
version, 4.3, (which I have installed) is command-line, and would seem
to fit my needs fine, but the documentation is lacking, to say the
least.

Here I suggested truecrypt, and then told you why you shouldn't use it.
Some people *do* use it, but they must have figured it out through lots
of trial and error.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR