Re: [tlug] X11 Session Manager Setup

On 2008-10-31 23:44 -0700 (Fri), SL Baur wrote:

> Real men Never restart XEmacs after system boot.

Well, that makes me a real man. I never restart Emacs ever, or even
start it in the first place. :-)

On 2008-10-31 23:35 -0700 (Fri), SL Baur wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah. It's because with my custom configuration of fvwm I'm about ten
> > times as productive with simple things such as opening, moving and
> > resizing windows, starting programs, and so on.
>
> I don't have to do any of those things more often
> than a month or so, if that.
>
> Lay things out on your various virtual desktops the
> way you want and leave them there.

Well, the layout I want changes from time to time as I work on things
and need different arrangements for debugging things. What's the big
problem with just making all those simple operations easy?

Not to mention that your method is less flexible than being able to
bring up the layout you want with a few keystrokes, and makes moving
between multiple machines harder.

> I think that's where the "Frankentop" reference came
> from.  You're trying to do things the hard way.

Actually, it's the easy way for me.

> -sb (You may like your vi, but my trusty XEmacs has
> been running since May, when I had to cut power and
> move the box)

This reminds me of John Rose's "Pros and Cons of Suns" post. (It's a
ways down on http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix-haters/preface.html
for those of you out there who are not familiar with it.)

"One neat thing about vi is that it really starts fast."

We know now how Sun and its spiritual successors did against Symbolics.

(Also, I did find it ironic that his first complaint was that a window
closing "took with it a day's worth of Emacs state.")

cjs