Re: [tlug] Windows Is Free For Business

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:

> My latest article on software piracy (possibly the last)
>
> Please take a look and "Digg" or "Slashdot" it if you like it. Thanks!!
>
> http://www.autotelic.com/windows_is_free_for_business

Unfortunately no comment-function on your site available, therefore I
comment here.
I work in the IT-department of an university (as a student assistant;
in the faculty where I work windows-only) and as a freelancing
administrator (temporary personnel for some other admins) for some
small-sized businesses (mainly businesses that are using Mac OS X).

First I want to say something about the businesses: Nearly all of them
use pirated software. Usually they get offered to use legit software
but when you tell them the price, they ask for pirated software.
I never really understood it, often enough pirated software breaks
when there's an update or so they need and then they prefer to pay the
expensive admin to fix it instead of paying the software. I've even
seeing them using serial generators downloaded by them from dubious
sites which brought trojans into their networks.
What I wonder is if they ever think about the fact what happens if a
competing company finds out that they use pirated software. The first
thing I'd do would probably give the police a tip - with the probably
following razzia they will loose all their computers and date which
will get them out of business because I doubt it that they are
prepared for such a case. All that with a simple phone call.

Now to the university: I never actually understood how they do the
license-thing. I just know that there's a standard package (win xp,
office 2003, acrobat 8 pro) and for anything else the department has
to buy additional licenses. Depending on the professor even they try
to circumvent it.  And they get the cheap educational licenses for
everything. But some professors prefer to use the money of the
department to get to conferences, buy books etc but not software (or
in some cases coomputer equipment…some have so old equipment you won't
believe it)
At least the credo in the IT-department where I work is that we do not
help them or give tips "how to pirate" a specific piece of software
and won't hand out copies of software when there's no license
available at the department.

Niels